Saturday, October 14, 2006

Not so Wired

My body went into action this morning at about 6 am. I couldn’t sleep any more after that. I finally got around to eating the noodles and wonton soup with all of its components in separate plastic bags. Now you know why I couldn’t just sort of slurp it down. It didn’t come in a disposable container like take-out in the US.

Last night’s attempt at hooking up my internet wasn’t much of a success. Blast the world and its reliance upon Windows! The instructions didn’t include any directions on how to install the internet for Mac OS. I dreaded the thought of having to purchase another computer. I gave up at about 2 am.

Today was going to be more of a success, I told myself. I had read up on the process of getting a cell phone in Thailand in my various Fulbright handbooks. My home telephone service came with a promotional SIM card. I hadn’t used SIM technology since I was in Manila and not before that for years. Still, I was familiar with how it worked and I knew I just wanted the most basic of phones since I never use any of the special features that cell phones come with nowadays. I consulted my map and found the mother of all discount shopping centers – Mah Boon Khrong – better known as MBK.

I made my way through Tokyu Department Store and into the mall itself. I headed up to the 4th floor as instructed and was awestruck by the sight before me. I was dazzled by the rows upon rows of stalls selling everything from new cell phones, used cell phones, phone cards, phone accessories, phone face plates, chargers, and parts to video games, dvds, consoles, and a variety of other electronics.

I wandered around this veritable maze for about 20 minutes before I found a congenial looking Thai woman of about 40. I asked her if she spoke English. She said yes. Before her (just like at every stall) lay a large, glass display case with dozens of cell phones marked with prices. Despite having been instructed to bargain down the price by a lot more, I was able to get her to sell a basic Nokia phone for a price similar to some of her neighbors. The price included the charger and a warranty. I also asked her to install the SIM card for me and call the cell phone to test it. She also plugged in the charger to show me that the batter was good and that the electrical parts were all functional. At any rate, it cost me 1700 baht. Or about $45 dollars for the cell phone. I’m pretty sure I could have gotten it for less, but I felt I did ok for my first time out to a place where I could bargain.

Now I have a cell phone, yay!

I went downstairs to the grocery store and picked up some other items to munch on. Thailand has such an interesting array of food. I love it! I picked up a tray of beef jerky for about a $1 and some pomelo (citrus fruit similar to grapefruit, but less tart). I got home, had some dinner, talked to Khun Kritt about the internet not working, and crashed.

No comments: