Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Apparently, Librarians Are the Same Everywhere

I made my first venture into the Chula Central Library today. It was a little bit of an experience seeing as how everything was in Thai (it’s not like I’m in Thailand or anything…) and I have yet to start taking my Thai lessons, which probably won’t even touch reading and writing for some time.

Luckily, they have computers featuring something resembling the Lemieux Library’s WebCat at Seattle U. I tried desperately to find an English language version of the program and was finally able to find one. All I had in hand was my little pink ID card from the International Affairs Office (IAO) when I went to visit them yesterday. Apparently, you have to get a membership to the library as well. And pay more fees. Why can’t they just have one card that gets you everything on campus? And why does everything come with its own separate price tag?

Anyway, I finally broke down and walked up to what must have been the circulation desk and started the routine – Hi, I’m a new researcher here…hand goes up to signify that I should stop talking and wait. The lady behind the counter dashes off with a smile and brings back one of her colleagues, who I’m quite relieved to find, speaks English quite well.

I explain to her that I’m a new researcher and that I don’t quite know how the library works.

Ok, I’ll give you an introduction.

She hands me a brochure for the library and takes me to the computers and shows me that with a touch of a button, I can change the language setting on the search engine.

Now how come I didn’t see THAT just a second ago? I thought to myself.

I asked her what I needed to do to check out materials.

Well, you have to apply for a membership.

How do I do that?

We walk over to the circulation desk and she works her magic in Thai. One of the gentlemen walks over to a side table and pulls up a few pieces of paper. Attached to these papers is a copy of on my photos that dropped off at the IAO last week. Amazing, they actually WORK with each other?? Apparently, they had JUST gotten the paperwork that very day. They tell me that I could come back tomorrow for it. And no fees. Weird, I thought. Some people tell me there are fees. Others say nevermind. It seems to me that fees are there and once it’s clear that you’re a Fulbright and fit into some kind of special group of people, all fees are waived. I kinda like that. But I’m a little annoyed as well, because I keep worrying that all these fees will eat away at the set amount of money I’ve been awarded for what really matters – boozing! Uh, I mean studying, um, researching, yes…~

So I fill out some more paperwork and hang it off with a smile, despite being somewhat bewildered at this point, since I just filled out an application that was entirely in Thai. Luckily, my translator made some markings to indicate what goes where. Sigh.

I walk over to the computers and start a simple subject search. History. There are all sorts of entries for all sorts of periods. Well that was brilliant, Hong. So I type in “History” and “Thailand.” Having met with my advisor only once, given his crazy busy schedule, I figured that a good place to start, given my academic training (and the fact that it’s my comfort zone), was reading some good ol’ Thai history. Where to start though, where to start?

I chose a book at random and head up to the appropriate floor. Odd, why are all the books here in shelves with glass sliding doors? Let’s go do some exploring. I take about 5 steps when I hear a stern voice speaking to me in Thailand. It seemed to be saying, “young man, just what do you think you’re doing?” I turn around and it’s a little old Thai lady with a serious look on her face, wearing a white blouse with dark gray skirt and a pair of no-nonsense spectacles. I look at her confused and she points the way out. It was then that I noticed a gigantic sign (in English) that read “staff only.” Oh brother…

I begin the routine again…Hi, I’m a new researcher here…

Call number?

I’m sorry?

For the book. Call number.

I don’t know. I can’t remember.

At this point, she pulls out yet another form with both English and Thai on it. She walks me over to a computer and we do a search. And she supervises me as I take information from the screen and write it on the paper. We walk back to her counter.

Library card?

I don’t have one yet. I do have this…University ID though.

She paper clips my ID to the sheet of paper and walks off. But before she does…

“You wait for me,” as she points at the nearest table.

She brings the book over and I start to read. Even the places I don’t normally read like the introduction and the acknowledgements. It was a good thing that I did too. Because I learned that the book covered the first half of the 19th century – up to the time when the best-known economic histories of Thailand begin their narratives. I guess I feel in my element when I can contextualize my research. No better way to do that than to read some history! It was then that I felt like I was starting to get somewhere with my “work.”

Here are some gratuitous pictures of campus buildings. The first is the auditorium and the second is the Faculty of Arts building.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hongmuffin:

I just got caught up on your blog! It makes me even more excited to come visit in April - we are going to have so much fun!

Good luck on exploring your new life...

Francis Schakal said...

Hey Hong.

Good to hear from you and glad to see you're doing well! Based on the content of your blog, I must say, I'm impressed to see how focused you've been. I feel like I'm still floundering trying to figure out exactly what it is I should be doing with myself. So I've been travelling and going to Halloween parties. . .

As for my email, it's jamesnau@gmail.com.

All the best!