Friday, November 24, 2006

Fah lah lah lah lah...


I’m happy to report that I’ve joined the Bangkok Music Society’s Choir! I just felt quite sad that music has once again, left my life…so I decided to do something about it! I had such a great time singing with the UW summer chorale this year that I just had to keep myself connected (thanks for a fabulous summer, Jason!). For some reason, I couldn’t find any information on the choirs at Chula, so I looked for choirs in BKK and found the Bangkok Music Society. I figured it would be a fabulous way to meet new people and get in touch with the opera going crowd here in BKK -- which reminds me, I went to see an opera called “Ayodhya” last Sunday. Given my fabulous experiences with the magnificent productions that Seattle Opera puts on, I am sad to report that I was thoroughly unimpressed with the production. Ayodhya is an all-new and original opera that was composed by a Thai composer and aside from one beautifully sung aria, the rest of was quite forgettable. When I originally decided to go see it, I had hoped it would be more Thai in nature; I was shocked to find that the libretto was written and therefore sung in English and that the music was for an orchestra featuring mainly Western instruments. Oh well.


Anyway, as for the BMS, we have our first concert on December 1st. I’m quite nervous about it since I’ve been singing with them for less than a month and already I have to be in a concert! Still, most of the stuff is fairly simple and straightforward and some of it, I’ve seen before! There’s not much to report here except that we only get together once a week for two hours, which is hardly enough rehearsal time, I think, but a majority of the people in the choir have normal day jobs and families that keep them too busy to commit much more time than we have.

No comments: